Call for Action for Tax Reform
The Grassroots Coalition for Tax Reform can change the way our government does its business. More important, it can change the future of Canada, and the future of Canadians. But it won’t be easy. It requires focus, and a commitment of time, skills, and effort from passionate Canadians to make tax reform a reality. The initial step is to sign up for the Grassroots Coalition. Following are the objectives, strategies, and target audiences of the Coalition:
- 1. To mobilize Grassroots Coalition Engagement Teams of individuals, businesses, and organizations at local levels from across Canada to pressure political parties and their candidates for tax reform.
- To implement communications action plans at the community level to educate and motivate Canadians to vote for tax reform.
- To pressure the federal government to implement a public discussion on tax avoidance.
- To solicit grassroots engagement from individuals, businesses, and organizations at local levels from across Canada to pressure political parties for tax reform. .
- To implement communications action plans at the community level to motivate Canadians to vote for tax reform. Community events, social media, local press coverage, knocking on doors.
- Tax Reform Spokespersons will carry the message to the news airwaves, supported by major media advertising.
- Individuals Knowledgeable of the Damage Done by Tax Avoidance. A large number of Canadians understand tax avoidance (Panama and Paradise Papers), but they feel helpless to do anything about it. They have not connected that their vote in the next federal election is the only way to address tax avoidance.
- Individuals who Blame Large Corporations/Affluent Canadians for Tax Avoidance. Efforts will educate Canadians that their vote in the next federal election is the only way to realize tax reform; that those who practice tax avoidance are simply using legal tax loopholes that exist to financially benefit themselves.
- Unions, Organizations (Business Associations, Social Groups), Colleges/Universities, Canadians for Fair Taxation and its supporters. Many in these groups are advocates and supporters of tax reform. The Grassroots Coalition provides an avenue for them to participate.
A ‘Call for Action’ Handbook is now being developed.